Follow these steps and you too can be up and mining within 10 minutes!
Get the dogecoin wallet
this is where you store your dogecoins
1) download - mac wallet: http://dogecoin.org/downloads/dogecoin-qt-0.6.4.0-Mac.zip
2) unzip it - it unzips to a file called dogecoin-qt
3) drag to Applications
4) open dogecoin-qt and let it sync with the dogecoin network, this can take a while, but you do not have to wait for it to complete, you are ready to move onto the next steps.
Download your mining software - i like cpuminer
1) download - mac poolers cpu miner - http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpuminer/files/pooler-cpuminer-2.3.2-osx64.zip
2) unzip it - it unzips to a file called minerd
3) move it to /Applications
4) from inside Terminal
chmod 755 minerd
Join a mining pool
This is how you mine (or dig) dogecoins with a group of others. Digging as a group allows you to get more rewards that you otherwise would alone on just your laptop. To join a mining pool, you’ll need to register at their website. For this example we’ll use http://miner.coinedup.com/doge (where I mine most of the time - the frontend can be a little slow from time to time but they are a 0% fee pool) - click on sign up, you will need a username, email address, password, and 4 digit pin to create your account, you may have to activate your account by clicking a link in email - remember your user info and pin!
Other mining pools if you’d prefer to look around:
Configure Mining Pool
1) you need to create a worker - go to the workers page http://miner.coinedup.com/doge/index.php?page=account&action=workers and create a worker by entering a user (workername) and password (yes another password), this worker username and password is not for the site, it is for your miner. this username and password don’t have to be very secure, since all someone can do with it, is mine for you, i make mine all like “doge1” and “x3”
2) now go to your edit account page - http://miner.coinedup.com/doge/index.php?page=account&action=edit - we only need to enter a few things in the left column
a) enter your doge address in payment address - you can get your dogecoin address by opening the dogecoin qt wallet and going to the “Much Receive” tab and clicking on your address, then clicking the copy address button, dogecoin addresses start with a D and look like this: D6MTLa1aMNHiuSv776FX28RezvhDVPHxFg
b) set automatic payout to the lowest value of the range they list, normally this is 1000
c) you can enter a number in the donate area if you want to, i do donate to help the 0% fee pool where i mine
d) enter your pin that you created with the account
now click update account
1) open up the Terminal application (typically located in /Applications/Utilities)
2) navigate to the directory where you put the mining application after you unzip it - navigation is done with the cd command - more info on changing directories http://www.linfo.org/cd.html
3) run the miner with this command - remember to replace “username”, “workername”, and “password”
./minerd -o stratum:+tcp://miner.coinedup.com:3359 -u username.workername -p password
Congratulations! You are mining! cpuminer will make one thread for each core of your cpu and go to to town, with a 4 core modern-ish mac laptop cpu expect 14-28khs, with a older 2 core 7-14khs
cpuminer will use one thread for each core of your cpu to mine. You can change the number of threads, for instance on a computer also running usb block erupters, you may want reduce the number of threads used by cpu mining, you can do this with -t flag
./minerd -o stratum:+tcp://miner.coinedup.com:3359 -u username.workername -p xxxx -t 1
How To Get More Free Doge Coins
To get more free doge coins, you can visit doge faucets (or waterbowls if you will) where you can enter your doge coin receiving address, solve a captcha, and get a small amount of doge coins. Here are some faucets:
This process has worked for me on Mac Book Pro laptops running OS X 10.6 and 10.7
Dogecoins are a scrypt based crypto currency unlike bitcoins which are sha256 based. Dogecoins can be mined by cpus and gpus but not by asic miners built for bitcoin. If you already have a computer running you sha256 block erupters, why not set a some of the threads of your cpu to mining scrypt coins for you. Check out http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency to see which coins are the most profitable to mine.
http://coinedup.com is the only exchange where you can trade DOGE for BTC or LTC. It is also the only crypto currency exchange that I have discovered that allows you to login with your Google Open ID. CoinedUp only asks for the permission to view your email address, not your entire contact list.
More info about DogeCoin (read this later once you’ve started mining): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=361813.0 - the bitcointalk thread where it all started.
If this guide helped you, you are welcome to donate